Friday, February 23, 2007

Light Bearers

For those of you who have been to the Lifeline mission in Haiti the picture is a familiar one. On a hill overlooking the mission stands a 30’ cross. This cross is visible for many miles around. It is also, I think, the best place on planet earth to have personal devotion time. The view from up there is quite stunning. In one direction there are mountains as far as the eye can see. In another direction there is a great valley that ends at the beautiful Caribbean ocean. In yet another direction lays the village of La Digue.
In November I woke up early and made the trek up the hill to spend some personal time with God. As I sat there meditating I was witness to the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen. The sun came up behind a mountain and the sky erupted in shades of pink, purple, blue, orange, and yellow. As I sat there amazed by this display a sound from behind me grabbed my attention. It was a baby crying in the village below. For the first time the contrast of this country made a mark on my soul. Suddenly a wave of emotion came over me and I cried out to God wondering how He could have so much power and majesty in His creation but yet allowed all this sin and devastation to spoil its splendor. I then heard God say, “Look up”. I looked up and above me was that cross. It was then that God said, “ You stand between my glory and these people. I have chosen you to take the message of the cross to my people.”
At that moment I realized that the contrast I was seeing was no different than the contrast we see every day. At any moment we can see the glory of God but at the same time see the depravity of man. God has given all who call on His name the honor and privilege of bringing the good news of salvation to a dark and hurting world. That may mean traveling to a far away place or it may mean sharing at work or with a friend. Wherever it is remember God has chosen YOU to show the world HIS glory.
At that same cross, just a few weeks ago, 13 short term missionaries gathered around to sing praises to God. It was well after dark, and with no streetlights for many miles we were able to see more stars than we could imagine even existed. One of my favorite verses is Philippians 2:15 that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world. Just as the stars penetrate the dark blanket of the night sky and stand out as a contrast to the darkness, so we are to penetrate the darkness of the world with the light of Jesus. We are set apart, known to others as different, and a contrast to the ordinary. By being set apart we bring glory to the Father as it says in Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven.
God has called us to bring the gospel to the ends of the earth. The world does not need status quo. They need the light that only Jesus can give. He has given us that light to bear in His name. Let us honor our Father by being good stewards of that light so we may be called faithful in the final day.
God bless you as we shine His light to the world and I’ll see you at the cross!

No comments: